It’s been two months, but the first Viewing Gum Listening Post for 2016 (and the thirty-first overall) is ready for you to listen to right here, or just stream below. Various factors delayed its collation, but perhaps of most significant relevance was the passing of David Bowie, which prompted a fairly typical response from his devoted followers worldwide of absorbing as much of his incredibly vast and varied work for a goodly time. There are few artists who could very easily fill days of radioplay but thanks to Bowie’s ability to inspire as well as be inspired, to collaborate, to produce, to write, to make guest appearances, to follow music as well as be followed by other musicians, to cross genres – well, there was much material to savour during my hefty Bowie binge. I updated my 21st Century Bowie playlist recently, which can be listened to here.
I’m still not over it, and it will colour the rest of the year – and years – to come. But seeking out new interesting music was something he championed, and so the Listening Posts must go on!
- Yeasayer – I Am Chemistry
- The Crookes – The World Is Waiting
- RAT BOY – MOVE
- Field Music – Disappointed
- Sunflower Bean – Easier Said
- Fruit Bats – From a Soon-to-Be Ghost Town
- The Besnard Lakes – The Bray Road Beast
- Daughter – Doing the Right Thing
- Animal Collective – FloriDada
- The Last Shadow Puppets – Bad Habits
- Shlomo – Druid Caravan of Smoke